Wire Artist Angela (Hook) Bailey
Angela (Hook) Bailey graduated from the Alberta College of Art and Design in Calgary, Alberta. There, she was exposed to many forms of art and types of media. In 2002 she began exploring the possibilities of wire as an artistic medium. With few resources existing on the subject, she set out to re-popularize this form of creative expression as well as develop her technical expertise in a craft that seemed to have been forgotten.
“I see my work as ‘linear sculpture’… it’s like drawing without taking your pencil off the paper… only in three dimensions. The continuous line is very important. That is what helps the viewer’s mind to fill in what is not there. It’s a very elegant way of asking the audience to participate in the art, to finish the picture.”
An intimate knowledge of equine behaviour and conformation has allowed most of Angela’s horse sculptures to come from memory and imagination, however, the ability to capture the differences between breeds and disciplines sometimes requires observation or visual references.
- Oct 2003 – Celebration of Western Art – San Francisco, CA (juried group)
- Oct 2004 – Octoberwest Western Art Show – Heritage Park, Calgary, AB (by invitation)
- Apr 2006 – Celebration of Western Art – San Francisco, CA (juried)
- Jul 2006 – Centennial Art Show – Summerland Art Gallery, Summerland, BC (juried group show)
- Mar 2007 – Art of the West Show and Sale, Cowboy Festival, Kamloops, BC (juried group)
- Apr 2008 – “Unbridled – An Equine Experience”, Summerland Art Gallery (solo exhibition)
- Mar 2009 – Art of the West Show and Sale, Cowboy Festival, Kamloops, BC (juried group)
- Artist of the Month, Equestrian Network magazine, Feb 2007
- Wire Art: A Whole New Language, by Christine Dunsmire, Creativity Portal, June 2007
- Four Equine Artists We Love, by M.Y. Mim, Western Times magazine, Sept 2007
- Equine Art Off the Canvas, by Amy Harris, Horse Sport magazine, Oct 2007
- Careers in the Arts – Wire Artist and Equestrienne Angela Hook, interview by Molly Childers for Creativity Portal, Oct 2007
- Packing Heat – Accessories that Sizzle, by Terry Mason, Canadian Country Cowboy magazine, Feb 2008
- Connection – Celebrating our 23rd annual art issue, by Gwen Rizzo, POLO Players’ Edition magazine, Nov 2008
© 2019 Angela Bailey
The images on this website are protected by copyright and cannot be reproduced without permission.